Engagement shoots are good for 3 things:
1. Getting my couples comfortable in front of the camera.
2. For me to get a crash course on who these people are. What’s their sense of humor? Do they make each other laugh? Are they camera shy or completely camera confident? I like to know these things before the wedding day.
3. Coming away with some fun images that’ll make their family and friends say, “That’s so them!”
We did some brainstorming about where we’d photograph and pushed the envelope farther than the typical engagement shoot and decided to bake a cake. That idea goes back to the story about how they met and it’d a perfect little activity to stage our shoot around. The kitchen we shot in was at Liz’s family home and for some outdoor shots we didn’t have to look farther than the backyard.
Oh and ps,
1. Quickly I realized that YES, they were quite at ease in front of the camera.
2. I learned that they’re a little goofy and a lot in love. We sang lyrics of “Call Me Maybe” and imitated the zombie apocalypse. Liz’s Mom was so accommodating. She baked and prepared several stages of cakes so we could photograph the entire process Food Network style (through the magic of television, TADA!)
3. The practical purpose of the shoot aside, we came away with some fun images that will make people say, “That’s so them!”
Zombie attack in progress!
The series below….. it was inevitable, right?
See them again on 8.25.12!!
Leave a Reply